April 15, 2024
Legault blasts Trudeau after health-care funding talks go nowhere

Article content material

Quebec Premier François Legault on Wednesday blamed Ottawa and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for the failure of a convention of provincial and federal well being ministers to achieve an settlement on health-care funding.

Article content material

Legault additionally made it clear he was sad with Trudeau’s criticism of his choice to subject cheques to Quebec taxpayers.

Article content material

When the ministers’ convention ended Tuesday evening, the federal authorities had refused to extend the extent of its financing for well being care within the provinces — a problem that has been a sore level between Ottawa and the provinces for at the least 20 years.

Trudeau “doesn’t appear to know the wants of the provinces,” stated Legault, complaining that Ottawa wished to dictate circumstances whereas it coated solely 22 per cent of health-care funding and left the remaining 78 per cent to the provinces.

Federal Well being Minister Jean-Yves Duclos instructed the convention the provinces and territories should comply with construct a “world class” health-care data-collection system and increase the usage of frequent well being indicators. The provinces, in the meantime, need Ottawa to extend its funding share of health-care prices to 35 per cent from 22 per cent.

Article content material

“Mr. Trudeau thinks he’s higher than (Quebec Well being Minister) Christian Dubé on the subject of selecting how cash is spent,” Legault instructed reporters as he made his solution to a gathering of his cupboard Wednesday morning.

For his half, Trudeau instructed reporters Tuesday the provinces couldn’t be brief on money, an obvious reference to Legault’s plan handy out $3.5 billion to Quebec taxpayers in an effort to ease the impression of inflation.

“Cash can’t be lacking from provincial health-care methods in the event that they’re within the means of sending cheques to individuals who want them least and giving tax cuts to the wealthiest,” the prime minister stated.

“I can’t consider Mr. Trudeau stated that ‘Mr. Legault shouldn’t assist Quebecers deal with inflation,’ ” the Quebec premier fumed Wednesday. “Quebec is the place (in North America) the place we now have the very best taxes. You might have to have the ability to perceive the problems.”

On Tuesday evening the federal authorities withdrew from a joint assertion with the provincial well being authorities, ending the convention with no deal on financing.

British Columbia Well being Minister Adrian Dix described the tip of the conferences as “disappointing,” saying the provinces had been united in demanding that federal health-care financing enhance to 35 per cent.